Under the direction of the City Manager, manages City relationships with the media and ensures quality and accurate dissemination of information. Provides all City departments with communications and internal and external marketing support. This position also oversees City branding and messaging; provides counsel to the City Manager, City Council and department heads and is responsible for the day to day operations of the City’s communications initiatives.
- Acts as liaison to the media and spokesperson for the City.
- Establishes, develops and maintains contact with media, professional and civic organizations and other special interest groups to promote the City of Lawton.
- Proactive media and community relations, through the writing, reviewing and editing of news releases, newsletters, emails, articles, postings, publications and scripts.
- Develops, implements, and maintains an effective public information program and coordinates public relations activities for City Council and City departments.
- Assists and counsels elected officials and department heads concerning public relations aspects of policies, practices, procedures, programs, and actions.
- Proactively promotes City accomplishments and activities.
- Be available 24/7 for emergency incidents and also in non-traditional work hours for presence at various special events and meetings, and serve as lead on the City’s Emergency Operations Center PIO Team.
- Develops and executes communication plans for various City campaigns, both internally and externally.
- Provides and coordinates media training to management and employees as requested or needed.
- Facilitates broadcast and telephone interviews with the media as well as responses to email inquiries.
- Manages City use of third-party communication websites and social media sites.
- Development and maintenance of a strategic communications plan to support the City’s mission and goals.
- Facilitates and responds to citizen inquiries and complaints.
- Prepare and review special interest publications, exhibits, videotapes, newsletters, news releases, brochures, pamphlets, fliers and other marketing pieces for various departments; work includes writing, editing, coordinating development of copy and data, proofreading, coordinating images, printing proof approvals, and serving as photographer for the City.
- Research, write, and participate in the development of and approval of content for various multimedia productions (e.g. PSA, graphic design, video projects, slide shows, internet, Website, etc.).
- Ensure consistency with the City brand and oversee protection of the organization’s cultural identity.
- Plan, execute and evaluate the City’s marketing plan on an annual basis.
- Oversee coordination of special events and special media events.
- Creation of communication strategies for various events that the City participates in or sponsors.
- Coordinate and carry out a wide variety of special projects.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, journalism, mass communications or related field or any combination of education and experience.
- At least two (2) years in a public relations position or position in a similar field.
- Minimum of five (5) years experience in professional work.
- Ability to oversee and motivate staff and volunteers either directly or through others.
- Working knowledge of social media platforms, graphic design, and photography.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to manage multiple projects with competing timelines, establish priorities, and meet project deadlines.
- Communicate one-on-one or before groups for the purpose of obtaining or providing information.
- Desktop publishing experience
- Valid driver’s license.
- Active in public information organizations.
- Experience in a municipal government setting.
Or apply at: Human Resources Department, 212 SW 9th, Lawton OK 73501 Phone: (580) 581-3392 Fax: (580) 581-3530
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status.
This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton drug screen and/or physical as a condition of employment.