|ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Clocks in each morning and, where necessary, assists driver in interpreting messages concerning previous services missed, new locations or other messages.
- Before leaving compound, assists driver in checking packer truck through the operator maintenance routine, including checking tires and fluid levels, motor oil and fuel, radiator and battery water, and assists driver in correcting all deficiencies, such as adding fluids when necessary and changing tires when flat.
- Rides inside cab with driver when moving from one location to another.
- Collects refuse from residential refuse pick-up points, usually at curbside, dumps refuse in tote barrel and when the barrel is full or sufficiently heavy, carries the tote barrel to the packer truck and dumps the contents into the hopper, then operates the compacting mechanism as necessary, continuing the procedure from house to house until the route is complete.
- Picks up, if feasible, extra refuse (other than normal refuse).
- Collects refuse from commercial refuse pick-up points, normally dumpster service, and provides guidance for drivers and assists in hooking up containers to dump refuse in hopper of truck.
- Directs the driver in backing into the area designated by the landfill operator and unbuckles the compactor mechanism for dumping of refuse from the packer truck.
- Talks with customers about the proper procedure for readying trash for pick-up in some cases, particularly in cases where too much has been packed in a can or dumpster and items are too large and need to be cut or disassembled or where containers do not meet the City code standard.
- If in possession of a valid Oklahoma drivers license and a minimum of a CDL class B certification, may, drive truck as assigned when driver is on vacation or is ill.
- Receives and follows instructions from the Foreman and Superintendent.
- Assists the driver in washing packer truck periodically, both inside and outside, to maintain its cleanliness and good appearance.
- Assists driver in spot painting the vehicle as instructed by the Foreman or Superintendent to maintain the good appearance of the packer truck.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
- Graduation from high school education or GED equivalent or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Some knowledge of equipment, methods and procedures used in solid waste and recyclable collection activities.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time in a safe manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, and the public.
- Ability to work in all kinds of weather.
- Knowledge of service locations along assigned route.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations regarding container size, weights and all kinds of refuse to be collected.
- This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton physical examination and drug screen as a condition of employment.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
Regularly: Required to hear, see, (shape/size/distance/motion/color) reach with hands and arms, turn, grasp, handle, feel, and lift and carry up to 75 pounds. Also required to start/stop/observe controls for hydraulic compaction equipment. Employee regularly works in outside weather conditions.
Frequently: Required to speak, stand, sit, push and pull. Employee is exposed to wet, cold, hot, dry and /or humid conditions, noise and vibrations.
Occasionally: Required to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch. Also exposed to fumes and airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals as well as items/objects that may be sharp, pointed or jagged. Required with assistance to lift/carry up to 100 pounds.
Rarely: Required to crawl.
Or apply at: Human Resources Department, 212 SW 9th, Lawton OK 73501 Phone: (580) 581-3392 Fax: (580) 581-3530
The City of Lawton affords equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age, or disability status.
This position requires successful completion of a City of Lawton drug screen and/or physical as a condition of employment.